Wednesday, July 13, 2011

sorting what matters

If anyone had unexpectedly come into my house last evening around 7, they would have thought I was suffering from a form of summer lunacy. I was dancing for joy and taking pictures (tricky) out the screen door. This was the view from the kitchen as monsoon rains pelted the flowers in the pots, the sculpture on the deck and the whole wonderful world around us. It happened so fast and thoroughly that seconds after I took the picture water was pouring down from high up onto the kitchen table which had both of our netbooks on it! Lots of scrambling for towels, turning the computers upside down, tripping over the dog who was headed for his security place under the bed. This dripping water (from clerestory windows that we can't reach) happens briefly once or twice a year when the rain is super heavy. We view it as a sort of manana thing  ...if we wait a few minutes the rain will go away... it does, and we forget about it until the next time. Winds whipped up, water kept coming. By the time we'd brought out towels, closed windows and doors, it stopped. But oh, we were happy for awhile. Today the birds are singing, the prairie dogs aren't as prevalent and the sky is clear blue with white clouds. Which may mean there will be no rain tonight (not a good thing) but it's an awfully nice day. A pale rainbow came out as the rain stopped and as always, cliche or no, rainbows feel like positive omens.
Which is a good thing because my good friend who was hit by a car on a city street last month is still in recovery and I recently learned that my granddaughter (new mother) was in a serious car accident. She will be okay but is injured. She's 2000 miles away and I was ready to catch the next plane east. But reason prevailed (so far) and I realize I could be in the way rather than be a help. I'll just take one day at a time (as she has to do now) and if I'm needed I'll go. And Mercury isn't even in retrograde yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment