Friday, July 29, 2011

every story starts somewhere

petroglyph? cave painting?
I managed a long walk with Spike today in a cool 64 degrees! What I haven't done in a while, haven't felt for days. Camera in hand, happy dog on leash, comfortable lime green sneaker sandals,  the summer park. This animal-like carving was simply peeling weathered stucco flaking off the adobe wall, illuminated by morning sun and leaf shadow.
Wild currents growing against the cemetery fence remind me of when we moved into the house my father built in 1949 in the northeast Bronx and my mother and I, on a rare walk, found great bushes filled with them. We went back with my blue plastic beach bucket and filled it with the sweet/tart fruit. She baked muffins just like Peter Rabbit's mother (they were current buns in the book). I remember them as delicious, warm from the oven, good sweet butter melting into each half. I haven't tasted any since.
We didn't have a clothes drier either and my mother hung the laundry out to dry in the summer air

Another 21st century artifact - not sure what this is/was, but it looked mysterious in the morning light - as if it's been there for eons. A sacrificial altar, a grinding wheel? A Knights Templar chariot wheel? A part from a giant's spindle? If I were a fiction writer (which I am not) I might conjure up a story about it and the animal shaped thing on the wall nearby. Maybe someone already has.

the way we were is not the way we are
We breathe our breath, the world spins, drama fills the sky with cloud shapes and thundery noises, we hope that if it rains it will last for more than a few minutes this time.
...in a landscape without past or future time 
- in this instant, in all instants, transience and eternity,
death and life are one
                                   Peter Matthiessen, The Snow Leopard

No comments:

Post a Comment