Tuesday, July 12, 2011

lightening bolts transformed

she-who-must-not-be-deterred
If you have read the Harry Potter books you know that knitting references are scattered throughout (Dobby's handknitted socks that scream when dirty! Hermoine's spellbound needles making hats that set House Elves free). In an online interview with J.K. Rowling about ten years ago, someone asked if she planned a Harry Potter knitting pattern. Rowling's response was "now I've heard it all!" She didn't know that the craze had hardly begun (or that she'd be sooooo rich!). Since then, yarn companies, jumping on the bandwagon, have come out with colors related to HP characters and a plethora of theme-based pattern books have appeared. I admit that I was inspired too.
I'd read the books (only three at the time) based on recommendations from my 10 year old granddaughter (who believed in magic) and my 72 year old friend (who believes in fairies). In the Winter 2001-2002 issue of Interweave Knits, I published a unisex sweater pattern based on the books along with an essay excerpt. The editors were afraid reluctant to use HP in the title so they named the pattern Lightening Bolt Family and referred to it as "a wizard sweater for muggles". It was sized from child to large adult. I loved their presentation and in the days pre cellphones, blogs, facebook, I still received notes of appreciation from strangers. Needless to say, I was thrilled.
That was my first and only published pattern and it forced me to make a decision. Did I want to enter that competitive world of knitwear design (the editors wanted more) or continue with my writing while knitting for pleasure? I don't mind writing for deadline but I resent having to do it for knitting. I chose the latter and haven't regretted it.
Unable to stop myself completely though, I put together a chapbook that still sells a few copies a year and gets an occasional facelift...
I've designed stuff for self, family, friends, and the one craft show I do annually. I wrote a book on knitting and writing, but so far it hasn't found a publisher. And so it goes.

So what prompted me to write about HP again?
I'm waiting for some new Lorna's Laces limited edition colors based on the books (probably in anticipation of the movie - in which I have little interest). Jimmy  Beans Wools will have the yarns available soon - you can check it out with them if you're interested. Meanwhile, I'm waiting for "he-who-must-not-be-named" - a semi- darkish color and another more cheerful one called "bravery". I'll post pictures when they come in. Now if only I could enchant my needles to finish all the UFOs around here, if a wizard would come in and vacuum, and if the afternoon rains continue, life would be nearly perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment