Tuesday, July 5, 2011

kinds of excitement

fire!
By 10 o'clock last night the temperature was in the low 60s and breezy. I went out to my second floor deck to enjoy it and remember when young Kira used to be with us on July 4th and we sat out there and watched the fireworks in town, far off, but entirely visible. I glanced toward the southwest and saw what I thought were fireworks (banned!). No. It was fire - mountaintop flames. To see them so clearly, along a ridge miles away, meant they were still huge towering infernos! We took glasses of wine outside and watched - then felt weird about it. People and homes in danger and we're watching as if it's a cocktail party. When we got a grip and realized that there is nothing we can do except watch, and that more then 2000 firefighting personnel are dealing with it and making progress, we crept inside into bed, completely sober.

a little organizing can't hurt
This morning after checking the quality of the air ("moderate") I drove to a coffee shop. The decorated latte was almost too pretty to swish with a spoon.
But I did (it was delicious), and tried to slow down, think, write, make a couple of lists for the rest of the week. I have been telling myself that I'll use this summer to catch up - and then realize that we're into the first week of July already and if I decide to take classes at UNM, they start in mid-August!

goodies
A package arrives....
Lorna's Laces Solemate sock yarn in Desert Flower (55% superwash Merino, 15% nylon, 30% Outlast). Check out this last ingredient: Outlast - it's a fiber that allegedly helps to regulate skin temperature - used by NASA and Ferrari! I immediately started a sock with it and so far it is soft and nice to work with but a Ferrari hasn't materialized in my driveway. Also in the package....
Madelinetosh Tosh Merino Light, "magnolia leaf". It's gorgeous. However, in spite of the spring season name, the color is totally autumn. This one I will put away until birds start gathering and I start feeling that change of season thing. The last goodies in the package?
Pretty Cheep Project Bags. 12 inch squares of muslin with drawstrings and bird stencils. Love 'em! They remind me of the bags my mother used to sew up using her leftover cotton housedress fabric. I thought they were way cool when I was nine and I guess I still do!

No comments:

Post a Comment