Tuesday, July 19, 2011

something essentially noble

How cool is this giant cappuccino cup! It sits on the roof of a tiny coffee bar in the Taos Ski Valley. I imagine it filled with liquid blue sky and cloud foam.
A cappuccino would have been a perfect accompaniment to my sojourn into the woods late this afternoon, but most places (on summer schedules) were already closed. So Spike and I walked the paths around the village (trails closed due to wildfire danger) and stopped by the numerous river tributaries to listen, and smell the piney scents. I jotted some notes and felt a great peace descend after an annoying morning when details and information just wouldn't come together. Sometimes I take things for granted and memory goes a bit fuzzy. This summer I've complained about the heat and smoke but sort of forgot that only 8 miles away, at more than 9,000 feet, it's always cool! Foliage is lush, rivers run cold, numerous wild flowers grow. Osha (Love Root) has been used medicinally by Indians and Hispanics for centuries.
Green Corn Lily (Indian False Hellibore) in abundance is highly toxic! I learned that people have died from ingesting it - thinking it wild onion or making what they think is gentian wine! Ooops!
But best of all is my ghost in the woods.
At a gathering a couple of years ago I met a woman who showed us prints of pictures she had taken. She said that every time she took photos with her digital camera, they revealed spirits (transparent ghostly blobs). I refrained from suggesting she have her camera lens checked because I'd just met her and she seemed a bit wobbly and quite attached to her photographic evidence. So, it came as a surprise when I reviewed my photos at home tonight and found a spirit had visited my pictures. Proof positive, yes?
I invoked the spirit and asked it to help me finish a project - lo, it did!
Stories within stories create a strange effect,
almost infinite, a sort of vertigo....dreams that
branch out and multiply.
                                    Jorge Luis Borges

No comments:

Post a Comment