Saturday, December 17, 2011

rocky mountain highs

Ice clouds are drawing toward the magnetic mountain on this late afternoon; snow is coming. But until then, we've had a lovely couple of days of bright hot sunshine. I managed to get to the park and walk. It was lovely although shady portions of the paths are icey and I had to slow down and walk carefully. Passing the building that usually has ever-changing graffiti on it, I see it was cleaned up and now has nature's changing shadow graffiti.

legends have it
There is a story around here that the Man of the Mountain overlooks all of Taos Valley. His head and face are configurations of trees and rockface high up. After snow, the face is often quite apparent. Like today - when it was visibly clearer than I've ever seen it. Look closely (to the right). He has a beard and his hair seems to be getting long.
The legend is that the Man in the Mountain either repels or compels you to stay in Taos - and is always testing you. So far, he's holding us here willingly and we've muddled through the tests, but sometimes lately (especially in cold winter) I feel a tingle of change in the air.


back to basics 
Finished the third bamboo sock.
Since I'm not fond of the fourth color I ordered (sort of pink and pretty) I've started finishing mates. Pink and pretty might invade my psyche in the spring, but holds no allure at this time. After knitting three socks with the Mary Maxim (!) bamboo, I give it a 3 star rating. It works up nicely and the splitting is minor. I'm withholding additional stars until I can actually wear a pair to experience feel and durability.

fire in the sky
As the day and the writing wind down, the ice clouds have turned to fire clouds and the man in the mountain is no longer visible (but what is that dark smudge? another legend?).






No comments:

Post a Comment