Saturday, May 14, 2011

still trying

 First day of the Taos Farmers Market. It felt like summer and the place was buzzing. Music, honey, goat cheese, breads, scones and coffee, plants, lettuces, fresh eggs. It felt so good to be there again after a long winter and even longer painful spring. Not only did the wild plum blossoms freeze a couple of weeks ago, but it seems that most of the budding lilacs were zapped too. Some Mays the abundance of lilacs all over town and beyond is intoxicating - this year I'm noticing that most of the lilacs were destroyed just as the flowers were beginning to bud. It's most depressing. It seems that in my neighborhood we have the only lilac bush that will bloom fully. That's one out of two bushes and only because it is up against an adobe wall and sheltered from the high cold winds by the house!
I met a poet friend for tea this afternoon and, in philosophical moods, we asked each other, "creatively, what are the closest things to your heart?" She's been through a good deal of personal stress and trauma and had found it difficult to find the time and incentive to write. In recent months she renewed her commitment and is happier, freer, able to face the tricks that fate might have in store for her. I considered the question too. My necessary and well-loved pursuits are writing, photography and knitting. I was shocked to hear myself say that I'd give up knitting before the other two. And then, if some diabolic god made me ditch another love, it would be photography (but I'd fight that mean god to the death!). So there you have it. An interesting, perhaps revealing conversation. Fortunately, no more than discussion. She's a fine and well-published poet and before we left the cafe, we planned an evening together with a group of kindred spirits.

However, I'm not planning on abandoning knitting anytime soon. Late last evening, watching a very old movie I had to snap this picture on the tv screen of Katherine Hepburn knitting away in Holiday.
Later on, we watched another old movie and it was Bette Davis knitting. But I wasn't quick enough with the shutter that time.

May your life be filled with lilacs wherever you are. We're still waiting for the lusty part of the month to take hold, but maybe there won't be any more snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment