Friday, May 20, 2011

petals in my tea

Finally found time to get back to the Turquoise Teapot tea shop and nursery.  Aside from the large selection of teas, collection of teapots, art by proprietor Kathleen, lending library, and lots of other fun, handcrafted stuff, the  place is a treasure of spring flowers and antiques. Sandy and Kathleen have planted flowers in old rusted tea kettles
vintage wooden product boxes and chipped enamel baking pans
a painted enamel, what? - cookie tin? tea tin?
The cafe reminds me so much of a shop a friend had in 1969 in a New York burb (whose name I can't recall, but it was somewhere in Westchester County). She called it The Antique Plant and planted pitchers and pots, crocks and old sewing machine drawers with indoor plants. I still have a couple of her vintage pitchers that I use for cut flowers. I remember wearing a green velvet outfit to the opening reception and sipping champagne amidst the natural greenery. I was still in my 20's and felt the whole world existed for me. She and I once spent a long afternoon in the shop among the plants and antiques talking about and reading Sylvia Plath's Ariel.

The Teapot is quite different. Instead of champagne we eat fresh-baked scones and cookies, sip exotic teas, meet up with creative friends. Like Joan who is a knitter and designer and regularly knits for various causes. She's made scarves and kids sweaters for the homeless, baby blankets, and her latest endeavor, the Mama Bear Project. Knitted bears for kids in Africa who have been orphaned by AIDS or have it themselves. She told me that 63,000 handknitted bears have been collected and distributed so far, and it isn't enough. She finished two bears (named Fred and Ginger) and is planning several more. The bears are cuddly, soft, and washable. You can read more about the project and get free patterns from their website.
We salute Joan and her commitment to love of knitting and sharing. Somehow in this very busy, somewhat stressful day, I found a small window of calm and beauty.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, I remember it well. Plants in birdcages and wicker baby buggies. Although at the opening reception (in Irvington, by the way) we didn't serve anything quite so elegant as Champagne. It was Cold Duck 1970, memorable only for the terrible hangovers it could cause. And, while I'm sure you looked fetching in green velvet, I'm afraid I was sporting a brown dress and shorts combination made entirely from unnatural fiber. Life, love and what we wore. Keep up the good work on your blog. Best, Torrey

    ReplyDelete