Sunday, May 8, 2011

color afterlife

crafty spring
Picked up boho bracelet at the show in the park. Made by two artisans from Albuquerque who call themselves The Wild Strawberry Muddy Wheel! Their jewelry is unique and one of a kind. They use beads, semi precious stones, tin, silver, brass, fusion processes, paint. This is about the highest level that my day will achieve and it's not of my doing. After yesterday's big push to finish up the manuscript, I'm a bit depleted and plan to let go and veg for the rest of the day. It is Sunday. Mother's Day. And I talked to one of my sons on the phone for an hour and a half! Received text messages from the others. Also must give some thought to outfit for a toga party on Tuesday that my Latin professor is throwing on our last day of class. Would it be permissible to arrive sans toga? I don't mean naked (heaven forbid!), just not in costume. Although I did contemplate showing up as Athena/Minerva - goddess of wisdom and craft - Head Goddess. But I'd need an owl and a crown. What to do?

bogey's linen suit
In the process of searching for leftover yarn to repair a washed and demothed sweater for someone, I came across this ahtsy yarn ball thing I'd put together and placed on the window ledge in my workroom a long time ago - and forgot about. For a while its photo adorned a note card that knitters and other crafty types bought by the dozens. The original photograph is mysteriously unretrievable, and the actual object dusty and faded (the top ball was green, the center brown!). It's all biege-y and gray now.
I am always grateful for this gray.
I take it from my plastic bag of grays feeling good about my choice,
the way that Humphrey Bogart, private eye,
would select a linen suit for a busy summer day
     (excerpt from "762", The Very Stuff, by Stephen Beal)

No comments:

Post a Comment