Tuesday, May 24, 2011

forms of progress

survival gear
My motto for today is prepare for the worst, expect the best - it's a juggling act. In the last phase of getting the anthology manuscript ready for the printer tomorrow, a glitch developed that may not be resolved in time. So, with detail bees buzzing inside my head and in my stomach, I am preparing plan B. Two cups of coffee haven't helped, but I needed my own buzz to counteract the other. Whatever happens, there will be a book. This last part is always the hardest and based on past experience, I will probably survive. Unlike the deep purple lilacs I boasted about a few days ago.  They opened beautifully - and got zapped in the next frost.
Now they're all tinged beige and immobilized in time - on this cold rain, cold feet, day. Grateful for the rain and wool socks, but longing for balmy breezes and bare feet. The month of May isn't lusty yet and it's almost over.

star of everything
I know I've written about my love for old movies. Especially Bette Davis. I watched Now, Voyager again and had to add the photo of her knitting to the one I posted of Hepburn a few days ago. These girls really could do it - act, knit, look good, redo scenes, knit on camera and not miss a stitch, nor muss their hair or smudge their lipstick. But here's something. This scene is the beginning of a brief conversation on board ship - discussing the man she's falling for (Paul Henried (sigh). She hasn't progressed far in whatever it is she's knitting. (Dig those sunglasses!).
Before the brief scene ends, the mystery piece has grown considerably - a bit fast even for legendary Bette who could do anything well!
I guess that sort of thing falls into the lap of the continuity editor who missed it. Like the orange Robert Redford is peeling in Out of Africa. It's all peeled in the scene, unpeeled when the camera angle shifts! I love the imperfections of life on all levels. It's just a matter of learning how to deal with them - gracefully or not. I'm definitely in the latter category today in spite of my fine self-imposed motto. In between crises, and while waiting for resolutions, I will probably knit.

No comments:

Post a Comment