Tuesday, May 10, 2011

fine voices

Today was the official last Latin class and our professor invited our small group to a Roman lunch at his home. I struggled with the thought of how to dress (togas required) and decided to go as Athena/Minerva - warrior goddess of wisdom and craft. She wielded lightening bolts as competently as her father Zeus/Juno. Last night, falling asleep, I still didn't know what to wear and hadn't had time to browse the second hand shops which always yield good costume stuff. And where would I get a lightening bolt and an owl?
          At 6 this morning I started rummaging around in my yarns and notions looking for an owl button I remembered. One thing led to another and because I was one of the victims of novelty yarns for a few years, there is an abundance stash of sparkly yarns and ribbons. Snatching a few dusty silk flowers from a vase on the floor, I added gold ribbon and fashioned a suitable goddess crown. (When I looked in the mirror I resembled an aging flower child more than a goddess).
It sparkles, reflects light, shoots out miniature lightning bolts (tamed by photos). Undaunted by the thought of making a fool of myself, I added a creamy pashmina shawl, sandals, the owl on a black silk cord, silver bracelets and off I went. Once there we were greeted by an orgy of food prepared by the prof himself (he swore the delicious but mysterious chicken-like dish was peacock), wine, dolmas, fava beans, stawberries, cheeses, salad. A ruby ring found its way into the strawberries
We toured his house set in a tranquil, yet powerful area of Arroyo Seco. Art, photos, history, words and pictures painted on ceilings and walls like flowing prayers and blessings. He did most of the creative work himself, painting the ceilings on his back like Michelangelo. Larry Torres is well known in Taos as a teacher, radio personality, author, linguist. He has so many personas and talents that I can't begin to list them all here (I don't know all of them). We talked wine for a bit and he showed me Antonio Banderas' favorite Spanish wine kept on hand for when he visits! Antonio Banderas! And the kitchen cabinet door that has a painting of a saint that Georgia O'Keeffe sat for! Oh yes, and the rooms where the documentary film crew came to interview him about Dennis Hopper! He graciously gave me the go-ahead to publish a few photos of his home to share here.
a prayerful ceiling
a day of the dead altar in a corner of an entire wall that contains his family tree.
        Michael is a young man who was dressed in a red (sheet) toga. As he bent down to pick up the stick for the Chinese gong, he looked just like a Buddhist monk. I captured his silhouette against the keyhole windows and as I left I bowed and called out namaste to him! He laughed, the others followed suit, and it seemed like a normal gesture in that amazing house.
blown on the wind, chaos
calls to enter the house
sacred gong stills the voice

No comments:

Post a Comment