Wednesday, June 15, 2011

shamefully unknitterly

she's home again
late last night after full day of traveling and a 140 mile  trip from airport. It is definitely not convenient to travel anywhere by plane from Taos. Fell asleep within the hour - in recovery today. Great whirlwind of a week. Got to know Dante better and share long visits with family and friends. Laughed a lot, ate a lot, walked, celebrated. Snapped about a million pictures when his mother tried christening suits on him the night before (worn by the boy babies in his father's family over several generations).
A brief panicky time ensued when we discovered that the tailor shop that had cleaned and altered the suits closed early the evening before the big event. I contacted my sister-in-law who rummaged in her attic and located the suit that all our boys were baptized in starting 53 years ago! The shop reopened and now Dante had three suits at his disposal. His mother chose the one that fit best (dig the quilted vest and tie). He didn't care of course and thought it was very entertaining when we stood him up and the pants of one of the suits immediately slid down to the floor.

chocopanic
On my last afternoon I was taken to a cafe called Chocopologie. They make the richest, darkest, most decadent chocolate treats I've ever encountered. They also serve food, but we had decided that we'd follow the convenient dictum, east dessert first, life is short so didn't even glance at the food menu.
dark chocolate with pistachios shared by Kira and me (we ate the whole thing)
chocolate covered brownie ordered by Megan - that's a champagne truffle on the plate - she nearly had chococardiac arrest halfway through the brownie (we ate the truffle) - and she's only 16! I was so into the pistachio thing that I didn't take a picture of the hot chocolate with lavender foam on top that my daughter ordered.

aht near the sea
A chilly morning on a grassy patch at the beach yielded salty wind and a serendipitous (there's that word again) arrangement. If the sun had been shining (it wasn't) my picture might have resembled a poor man's Cezanne. But it is what it is. The cold wind and sweater actually felt good after the heat and humidity of the day before.
confession
I didn't knit more than three inches of the one sock project I'd brought - nor did I go to the local yarn shop. I know, I know. It's a shameful thing - I feel the pain deeply. When I was attempting to feed and entertain Dante one day, I pulled a card out of a pack of flash cards nearby and this one came up first. Messages come from the strangest places. Somehow I'll have to make up for this lapse.

No comments:

Post a Comment