Tuesday, June 28, 2011

danger & kinds of loss

goodbye again
today was the last day at Turquoise Teapot and everything went on sale. I wanted to remember Sandy and Kathleen and their tearoom/antique/plant shop so, in spite of my declutter campaign, I picked up a few things. Authentic English/Irish tea, some sweet cloth napkins, tea cake dishes. I resisted the teapots (I already own too many) and the bone China teacups and saucers (I'm not a display-your-delicate-China kind of girl) - even though I was sorely tempted. They're soooo pretty and reminders of other more gentle times and places - a mood I am highly susceptible to.
read on as a blazing reality sweeps through
no matter how much I'd like to imagine myself in an English tearoom on a cool London day, my reality is quite different. I was so wrong with my fire news yesterday. On Sunday afternoon another fire started and it's already consumed 61,000 acres - this one is around Los Alamos (read: Los Alamos National Laboratory - where they built the first atomic bomb? forty miles away? the town that was evacuated yesterday? 10,000 barrels of lab waste (with "just a bit of plutonium in them, but safe"). As you can imagine, we're a bit edgy. Not worried about our home going up in flames, but the air that we breathe.... The fire is 0% contained (not due to incompetence, but circumstances) and wildfires are highly unpredictable. The wind is whipping up within unusually hot temperatures of 92 degrees.

The local (solar) radio station KTAO is on top of the news and we listen all day. In between bulletins they are playing music with socially conscious lyrics - peace, environment, war, death, love, destruction, hope, the future. Like we've stepped into a scene from The Day the Earth Stood Still (the old 1950s version with Michael Rennie - not the awful new version) and Klatu is telling us what can happen if we humans don't stop violating our planet. National Forests are officially closed to any activity at all and don't even mention fireworks for the 4th. I can only think of those firefighters and other responders wearing heavy clothes in 90 degree heat, near towering flames! It's is an unimaginable situation for most of us. They are extremely brave people. Let's send them positive energy and prayers for their safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment