Sunday, October 31, 2010

finito for now

It's finished! It's finished! and I had enough yarn and interest to knit a matching hat. Oh, I love this yarn (Rowan cashsoft baby DK). I haven't blocked it yet and will probably only do a light steaming. It's so cuddly just the way it is. I love the ladybug button and I did stop making hats. Whew! a lot of knitting for 7 or 8 days.
Now, feeling smug and satisfied with the baby knitting over, I must get back to finishing up stuff for the Yuletide Craft Fair at end of November. I'm not terribly enthusiastic about that, but I made the commitment and will give it my best shot. In preparation for another busy week of knitting and other things, I went through the stash in my bedroom. Some of it has been put away downstairs in the trastero (very little storage space in my house) so I can get to it quickly, and some in plastic storage boxes destined for the garage. There is still yarn in every nook and cranny! Help! No, never mind, I will help myself. After the craft fair and after going east I will have a stash sale and whatever is left will go to charity. Clothes, shoes, accessories are tumbling about all over the place.

I continue to read Bonnie Lee Black's book How to Cook a Crocodile: a memoir with recipes and am enjoying it tremendously. She joined the Peace Corps at age 51 and spent two years in Gabon in the late 1990s. I'm amazed at her free spirit. (What was I doing at 51? Well, I was moving from Connecticut to New Mexico - that's something). From the moment I open the book, I am transported into that hot and humid African town on the equator, her friends, her food, the obstacles she encountered and overcame time after time. Knowing her personally makes for an interesting juxtaposition. I am having to imagine her there then and here now. Somehow it all works. In the book she quotes Leonard Cohen:

Like a bird on a wire, 
like a drunk in a midnight choir,
I have found my my own way to be free

 

No comments:

Post a Comment