Sunday, October 10, 2010

disappointed

FROM THIS...
TO THIS.
Decided to try out one of the new yarns because the color is so unusual and I couldn't wait to see how it would knit up. This stripey thing was the result of 47 stitches on a 2.5mm needle. In my opinion it's not interesting (or subtle) and I expected much more from it. I will continue with this hand-warmer project because I suspect they might be fun (for someone else) when finished. The yarn itself is a soft sport weight that is easy to work with. This weight is getting to be my favorite. It's thin without being sewing thread/spider web thin and works well for socks and lace.

It's cold, sunny and windy today and I'm loving it. But the season does seem to have turned from Indian summer to deep fall. Yesterday's neighborhood yard sale scored 5 on a 1-10 scale. Didn't make much money, but the weather was a ten and I sat outside most of the day reading, knitting, being interrupted frequently by nice people, a couple of rude people, neighborhood dogs who stole things and peed on the sofa I tried to sell, and two men who insisted that my husband really would sell his cement mixer if I would just ask him (what is it about cement mixers that guys love? it eludes me). An attractive couple my age came by. They live in Taos and New York. It turns out we all grew up in the same neighborhood in the Bronx, were totally familiar with the schools we each attended, shopped in the same stores, walked the same streets (he was able to name them in order!) and our high school graduations were held at the Paradise Theater on Fordham Road (now designated as a historical landmark) (as we are?). The long day passed and most of what I tried to sell, didn't. Mostly it was stash yarn that sold! It felt good to pass it on. What became uninteresting to me through longevity and familiarity, became fresh and inspiring for someone else. Nice.

Thomas Edition said:
To invent, you need a good imagination
and a pile of yarn junk.

No comments:

Post a Comment