Wednesday, June 5, 2013

they are coming!

The chili-windsock-tree in the park has now sprouted faux flames. I don't quite know that this means in the overall scheme of things but I'm sure it has something to do with the appearance of Mumford & Sons there tomorrow night. I'd never heard of them until two weeks ago. Someone (who hadn't heard of them either) said, "sounds like a moving company". Yeah. But then I did some research, found out they'd just won a Grammy for their album Babel and listened to some of their music, downloaded it and have been listening ever since. These guys are good! There's something in their style that evokes shades of Celtic, Chapin, even Dylan, brings me back to my younger days but with a decidedly contemporary edge. It feels like real music, not the over and over, nearly tuneless, boring refrains on the local radio station. These guys can write lyrics! I'm not going to the concert -- even if I could get tickets (not possible). I hate being among crowds of people squooshed together on the grass, wildfire smoke in the air, and the inevitable traffic. Rather, I will listen to their music in the cool quiet of my home. Maybe with a glass of wine, the horses outside, and hazy smokey mountains in the distance -- and be happy that at my advanced age I can groove enjoy the music of twenty-somethings.

No comments:

Post a Comment