Sunday, June 2, 2013

all good

To the sound of three galloping horses released onto our land a few minutes ago (they always wildly run when allowed into a new field), I write in my journal....
and sip California Chardonney....
Life is good now that I've taken this day off. After days and days of high energy, stress, and schedules, I let go today with nothing to do until late afternoon. Hit with exhaustion and a stiff back and being in a weak state, my dominant hypochondriac self kicked in and I keep hearing the words from that Bette Davis movie (Dark Victory) "prognosis negative". Oh my. She died. I was told to pull myself together and heeding that directive, got ready for the "tea" and reception at Marge's home for Bonnie Lee Black (I have now confirmed my status as BLB Groupie). She's doing lots of talks and readings locally and I've been invited to all of them and have, so far, gone to all of them! Nice. She's a fine writer and a delightful personality who entertains her audiences and keeps them interested.
Bonnie, who is an accomplished chef, was a caterer in Manhattan for ten years. She won the Gourmand International Award in Paris last year (for her book How to Cook a Crocodile), and baked about a dozen different types of cookies for today's event, better than any fine bakery you can think of. Don't even mention the almond/jam cookies or I will weep with pleasure! (terrible picture, but trust me on this).
A good time was had by all and tonight I'll read a bit of poetry, scribble a few more notes, finish the wine, and prepare for another busy week ahead. By the way, the Storied Recipes cookbook that I mentioned in past posts, edited by Bonnie and for which I was Production Manager and Lesley Cox designer, is a finalist in the New Mexico Book Association Design Award. The award will be given on June 14 in Santa Fe -- keep all fingers crossed please.




No comments:

Post a Comment