Friday, September 16, 2011

mood change

summer's gone now for sure
Fast and thoroughly. The landscape (and temperature) has changed the way a movie scene changes. No segue here. Just an abrupt cut. Next scene: miles of yellow chamisa.
The rains that were supposed to come during the summer are hitting us now. For more than a week it has rained every day and during the night. We awaken to thick clouds and soaked landscape. Everything's turning green again. I'm confused. During the clear times, the cloudwork and mountain shadows are overly dramatic - further reinforcing my belief that nothing is ordinary around here. Whatever weather is happening at the moment, seems to have happened forever and will stay forever - until the next unexpected something moves in and I'm taking pictures as if I've never seen it before - and I haven't really, have I?


Yesterday we zoom-zoomed down through the canyon to Santa Fe. I wasn't driving so I took pictures that didn't capture what I saw - how can an image with its size limitations capture a sky and landscape that has no limits? Still, I tried. With odd results.
Driving home in the pouring rain, I fell in love with the yarn I'd traded with friend Josie last weekend. It's Rowan dk soft - sigh! - 85% wool/15% polyamide. Only Rowan can combine these ingredients into a sophisticated, fuzzy, gorgeous yarn. I haven't knit in the car much lately. When Ron's driving we're usually in the Miata, which is not conducive to peaceful knitting. But at the last moment, before we left the house, I grabbed the ball of yarn and a circular needle. All the way to SF and back and while I waited for him as he ran his brief errands, I worked on a long hand warmer.
The color is a deep dove gray and fits the cloud and seasonal mood perfectly. I'd walked in the park in the early morning and it was cold. My short handwarmers left a gap between them and the start of my sleeve. Secretly I really wanted to try out the yarn, but it turned out that I also wanted to make something practical. By this morning I almost finished the first one. I'll go back and do the thumbs when the pair is finished.
I'll be leaving soon for our walk (Spike and me). We're walking later today since it's so wet and chilly out there. But I see the grey fleece cloud cover beginning to separate and I'd better bring the camera.

beyond the aspens
cashmere sweater gray clouds
wool warms my hands

No comments:

Post a Comment