Saturday, September 24, 2011

illuminations

Early morning walk in the early morning light. So quiet in the park today - conducive to meditation and observation.
chamisa, Mexican sunflowers, one zinnia aglow
window through window in the old adobe barn, chickens scratching outside
Then home again to face the piles of clothes I'd pulled out of the closets to winnow down to fit in one smallish carry-on bag as I prepare for trip west early Monday morning. I've been told to bring light clothes (sunny afternoons), warm (for morning fog), casual (for the Pacific) very dressy (for the opera), and oh yes, a bathing suit (hot tub). This is a challenge since my bag really is small. Cashmere sweater and bathing suit? Fleece vest and sparkly shawl? Wool socks and sandals? Where will I put my knitting projects? As I was struggling to make decisions and see what would actually fit, it occurred to me that I could have two bags to choose from based on the trip (duh), one being a bit larger. I nearly jumped into the car to drive 85 miles to Santa Fe to buy a larger bag. Fortunately, reason returned (Ron told me I was nuts). I'll figure it out. After all, I've used the bag before on longer trips. I have this thing about traveling light, but then I want to take all my favorite things so that I can wear what fits my mood - and not think about the perfect item for an occasion hanging in the closet at home a thousand miles away.

Though I have occasional twinges of guilt about 
the supposed superficiality of my subject, I can't 
deny that my interest is deep and abiding.
     Nancy Macdonell Smith, "The Classic Ten"

No comments:

Post a Comment