Monday, January 24, 2011

liquid potions

It's a quiet cappuccino kind of a day. Mostly gray outside and very cold. Ron is sick with a flu (or cold or virus). He's been in bed since early last evening, sleeping a lot. Sneezing and coughing so badly last night that I slept in my workroom downstairs. This room with its sofa bed also doubles as a guestroom when someone comes and I must say that I owe my daughter an apology for having had to sleep on that bed for a whole week last summer. It was so uncomfortable. Even with an extra down pillow I woke up with a stiff neck and shoulder. Ah well, at least I wasn't exposed to whatever ails him. I'll have to decide tonight what to do. He seems a bit better today - and I made a big pot of chicken soup (organic chicken and vegetables, acini pepe pasta). He's been too sick to eat any of it yet.
          Making the soup reminded me of the time I was in North Beach in San Francisco staying at my friend's house and she was sick. I decided she had to have healing chicken soup. So (because I do not ever drive in SF) I walked to Chinatown and bought all the ingredients. When I got back to the kitchen and unwrapped the chicken I discovered it had a head and feet! Help! My friend's partner rushed into the kitchen and cleanly and unemotionally removed the scary parts and said I'd probably paid extra for them. I once heard the phrase woozy-pants. That was me. However, the soup was delicious and my friend recovered quickly (because of or in spite of) and I'm hoping today's pot of soup has the same effect on ailing husband unit. I must say that I'm enjoying the quiet, but don't tell him.

scant sun hesitates
dark birds fly past my windows
a dull winter's day

No comments:

Post a Comment