Saturday, January 22, 2011

color of wind

The Lobster Pot lace shawl is about three-quarters completed. The cashmere has begun to bloom enticingly after being stuffed and unstuffed in and out of one of my small KnowKnits pouches (I love them) and it's so soft that I want to cuddle up with it against my naked skin. It is a total pleasure to work with this yarn. But, lest you think that I have put all other projects aside after promising myself that I'd finish first, start second, I must confess to a bout of uncontrolled multi-knitting. I received in the mail the other day a gorgeous skein of Lorna's Laces Helen's Lace in a limited edition color called "Alice's First Kitchen" - at least that's what I recall of it's name since the actual label, in my hands for about 15 minutes, has entirely disappeared. The colors are a prod toward positive thinking ala spring.
Yummy shades of milk chocolate, kiwi, taffy. I couldn't resist seeing how a swatch would knit up (oh sure!) and started another Clapotis. Other knitters may be over this pattern, but I'm not. I find it a most relaxing project with lots of knitting and not much thinking.  I call it my Stress Cure Project (SCP). I do have to glance at the instructions occasionally, but the long knitting time and final result are worth it. It's a good travel project, too. When it's knitted in lace weight yarn it becomes both a summery shawl and non-bulky scarf. It's my favorite and most used article of clothing when I visit northern California. Best utilized during a walk along a Pacific beach on a breezy day or an autumn evening walking to a neighborhood restaurant . One would think that I'd have drawers full of these shawls (how many have I made?), but I don't. Most have been given away (and traveled the world) or were commissioned for others. I plan to keep this one. I'm in love again.

After a gloomy gray start, the sun is shining in late afternoon and the sky is deep blue. Looking out the window one can easily think early spring! - but it's a trick of light since the wind outside is howling (literally) and screaming (like the voices of the ancestors) and the temperature has dropped considerably. My dog is confused, wanting out and then begging to come in. He hates wind!
The bare branches of the apricot tree struck me as looking quite dramatic with flailing black branches against a background of  scudding clouds.

wind howls loudly
and my only dream of spring
is in yarn's colors

No comments:

Post a Comment