Sunday, April 3, 2011

coincidence or destiny?

After yesterday's 72 degrees, now it's windy and cold with dust and smoke obliterating mountains and turning the sky white. Too windy and gritty to walk in park this morning so I feel sort of sluggish. As in slug.

hat report
Still knitting Ali Caps. The latest is a deep (darker than shown) olive. I had concerns that the patterns wouldn't show up well in the dark yarn, but it's looking good. A bit difficult to work on at night watching movies though, so it gets picked up for a few rows at my desk, the breakfast table, other down times. This one may be my favorite so far - and take the longest to finish.
a worthy sacrifice
There is an attractive woman in my UNM writing class who has long dark hair and is an appreciator of hand knits. She owns some of the socks, hats, and scarves that I've knitted. She recently shaved off that hair to raise funds for breast cancer research. She was the lone woman among a group of male firefighters and others (including her husband) who did the same. She is also fond of turtles and told us she was planning a turtle tattoo for her 50th birthday. She told us this after we'd discussed an essay by Edward Hoagland called, The Courage of Turtles. It seemed to me that the coincidence was just too great. I've set aside a hat of her choice to keep her head warm on these chilly windy days - along with the carved wooden turtle that came with the pattern. It seems there is a plan emerging for serial hat knitting after all! With her permission I will include a photo of her wearing the hat in a future post. Meanwhile, I love placing the finished ones next to each other on my desk while I'm working on other non-knitting stuff. In the essay Hoagland tells us that turtles see the same colors we do and they seem to see just as well. Well.
Freud said there is no such thing as coincidence. So what would he call it if he were here with me now? Tapping into some intuitive force? Prescience? Does the work of the hands connect with the work of the Universe? Am I getting too woo-woo? Probably. It's the wind - bringing mysteries and serendipities.



No comments:

Post a Comment