Wednesday, April 6, 2011

too much of a good thing?

fate of knitter with more than a lifetime of stash?
The day after I wrote the post about that yarn, I stopped at the Des Montes Gallery on my way into town. In the front room was a new fiber art installation by Twilight Kallisti. I'd featured a photograph of one of her other knitted pieces in last year's Chokecherries anthology because it caught my attention with its edginess as an art form. When it comes to knitting, most of us operate within pretty traditional parameters of clothing, accessories, home decor. I certainly do. This piece, called Purl, shocks - and then you smile. I photographed it (with the artist's permission) against a busy background in the gallery so you'll have to try to see it as a whole without distractions.
Parts of Purl were constructed using recycled yarns unraveled from tossed-away old and moth eaten sweaters acquired at the Taos Recycle Center. Still useful to the discerning eye they now have a new life. Look at those long graceful fingers! Twilight is an accomplished knitter with a great imagination and a big talent. Needless to say, she now owns that rather large box of yarn. Remember I called it slightly spooky? Well situations change as fast as the weather around here and another coincidence emerges... spooky... skeleton...a sunny windy day...latte at the local coffee shop. I can't wait to see how that yarn will be transformed. Something beyond my imagining no doubt - or what the original Las Vegas craftswomen imagined.
Women in silkworm room
all dressed simply - like women
in antiquity
                        Sora   
                                (Basho's traveling companion, 17th.c)

No comments:

Post a Comment