Saturday, April 23, 2011

easter hues

It's almost Easter and as I drove down my dirt road I spotted balloons that resembled Easter eggs. For years after we'd moved to New Mexico and there were no longer any children or grandchildren around to share it with, I continued to color eggs every year and make glazed Easter breads with brown eggs nestled within the braids. In the 1980s in the Naragansett cottage I turned out stunning Easter breads and traditional ricotta cakes from an inadequate kitchen and old oven. It all seemed so easy and right back then - something we did without question. I abandoned the traditions a few years ago and it was okay. But this year I'm considering that bread thing again. It was/is delicious and I'm feeling a bit nostalgic today. My grandmother's name was Pasquarosa (Easter rose) and, if for no other reason, I feel connected to the holiday. I didn't know her very well, she died when I was five years old, but if I haul myself out the door for the ingredients today, I will do it it in her honor. Meanwhile, for those of you who celebrate in your own way, HAPPY EASTER!

As it happens, today is the first anniversary of this blog. One whole year - 4600 readers! Thank you and enjoy the beauty and promise of this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment