Monday, March 14, 2011

what is

Everywhere, in the everyday, there are exquisite worlds. 
That paraphrased quote came from James Agee who believed that if one could learn to study a thing (read: notice), we might begin to perceive what is rather than what isn't. Jack Kerouac did it in the 1950s with words in his Book of Sketches - quick notes in short lines running down the pages of his small notebooks like miniature waterfalls. Yet within those terse flowing lines he captured mood, place, characters, feelings and much more. On the title page he wrote, in pure Kerouacian style: (proving that sketches ain't verse) But only what is. If you read this blog you know I love the quick "gesture" concept and always carry a small camera and notebook around with me. Very often the camera is used more than the notebook. Things I didn't notice reveal themselves later when I review the pictures and then I can write. I never know what I'll encounter. Not much if my mind is preoccupied. Lots if I'm noticing. The tea shop's spring colors that look like sock yarn, the painting my neighbor gave me because I like wool.
ultimately there is no
absolute truth,
only perception
                      Dr. Sherwin Newland

No comments:

Post a Comment