Sunday, March 27, 2011

city color

shopping and walking
Went to Santa Fe for yarn, friends, and a bit of shopping. It's been so long since I walked that Plaza or sat in its park. Much has changed in recent years. Many art galleries have been replaced by southwestern jewelry and clothing shops. A few old shops and cafes are still there, but Starbucks is always busy and I must admit that I ducked in for a latte and some quiet before heading home. It was a nice day and I did enjoy the small city feeling - touristy though it was. From my vantage point at the top of the parking garage across from the venerable Lensic Theater, I noticed once again the strange melange of architectural detail on the building.

It was originally built in 1931 by a successful Syrian immigrant/merchant in the "Spanish style" (as he called it). It served for decades as a movie theater and  sometimes a dance hall. Sixty-eight years later in 1999 it closed down - until the Zeckendorf family  (New York real estate) rescued, renovated, and turned it into the beautiful performance space it is now. I've been to poetry readings and concerts there and hope to attend many more (although it is a long 84 mile ride through the canyon back to Taos late at night).

now for the important stuff
Spent some lovely time (and money) at Tutto yarn shop with friend Joan and owner David. We sat around laughing and talking yarn, patterns, other stuff, in between customers. I bought more Foale yarn for the hats and some interesting Danish merino yarn for a future project (more later).
The Opal sale rack pulled me toward it like a magnet. I collect like cheerful colors that brighten up grey days when I just need a simple sock project with yarn that will do the fancywork for me.
So it was a good day and I started the next hat (I think it's the May one) in the periwinkle color. I was grateful for my own hat when I walked this morning when it was 42 degrees, blustery, threatening. Now, three hours later the sun is shining and a few snowflakes are tossing about in the air. Mountain weather strikes again! My desk is littered with still undone writing and editing projects, it's getting on to late afternoon...can't I just knit?

No comments:

Post a Comment