Thursday, May 16, 2013

devil in the details

she gazes into the abyss...
...just my Eagle Creek pouch containing chargers, headphones, extra camera batteries, cables and readers...ready for travel whenever I am. What technological creatures we have become. What will we do when those predicted sun flares happen? Or the tsunamis and alien invasion and the earth turns on its axis? Oh yeah, and war. When there is no electricity much less Wi-Fi and cellphones and iPads... We will certainly travel lighter, our handbags and backpacks will be smaller, we may even appreciate the present moment more without having to check if we have new text messages or emails to answer, and we won't have to learn new procedures for new devices. Or take Valium because we're so po'd at the dumb way instructions are written (or not written). I've pretty much figured out what works for me on the new mini iPad -- and happy that I held out for it. It works great and the apps I downloaded (for writing and photography) are helpful. Added a mini keyboard and managed to get it all connected last night. It's supposed to be capable of transferring Word docs back and forth between laptop and iPad but I haven't learned how yet. Today I'll use the Mini almost exclusively (excluding this blog) to do basic stuff and maybe learn a couple more things. The nearest Apple store is 140 miles away so I'm not going! Or I could go to the gorgeous one in San Francisco...all white and chrome and glass...just grab my pouch, my mini, grab my bag and go!
Or wait until sunset when there will be another show. This one over Taos Pueblo last night at 8:15 and still light! Lovely!

You want to cry aloud for your
mistakes. But to tell the truth the world
doesn't need any more of that sound.

(Mary Oliver, first stanza "The Poet With His Face in His Hands")

No comments:

Post a Comment