Thursday, November 8, 2012

where colors are made

"stick to your blue and be happy"
It happened. The last beautiful day of autumn. I knew it was coming soon, the dimly perceived threat hanging over us every warm and summery day for weeks. I was compelled yesterday to take this year's last picture of the small clusters of rugosa still blooming on the old bush against the house.
Endless days of cloudless blue skies blown away by today's howling November wind, just as all color is blowing away and replaced with pale grey as far as the eye can see. Autumn dust swirls in fields, a  silvery airplane passes overhead. The room I work in is cold. I turned the heat down last week, it will take some time to warm up again. There was thin frost on the car window this morning. There's always some last thing, isn't there? A last photograph, a last kiss. A last poem read. The last rose of summer. Persephone goes underground again, the bitch...

turn away, turn toward
...the delicious Kocheron scarf. Swirls of angora, wool, silk, caressing the neck. The mannequin's, mine, or someone I haven't met. Will consider all requests.
And the latest pair of knitz mittz. Can't remember if I posted pics of the pairs I finished last week, but I've been turning them out like baguettes in a bake shop. Shelves full now, close up shop.
Time compresses and I'm taking a rest from inventory knitting. There's enough for the Yuletide show in less than three weeks. What I really want to do is start Dante's sweater. He'll be turning two on the 18th and his favorite color is blue. I'll be scouting yarn shops this weekend to find the perfect yarn for his sweater. I already have the pattern -- a lightly cabled pullover.

I probably shouldn't say his, but I will:
You don't have to worry about blue.
Get the value right and the shade will follow,
and if you don't like it, lots of others will.
        Stephen Beal, The Very Stuff (also the quote at the top)




No comments:

Post a Comment