Friday, July 13, 2012

trifles

Lovely organic strawberries from the source, and a light meal based on that scene from Eat, Pray, Love when Gilbert was in Rome. I've liked the way it was presented (I remember it from the book, too) and it is delicious: smoked salmon, hard-boiled egg, fresh asparagus al dente drizzled with good olive oil, sprinkled with coarse salt (and a few nut-rice crackers).
Alone in the city I feel a combination of freedoms and pressure. The freedom to do whatever I wish (or eat however I wish) and the pressure that comes with freedom -- a promise to myself that I'd accomplish something while here. I'm doing well in the food department, but the writing isn't flowing. The events of the last couple of days have definitely thrown me off balance. But I'm trying to maintain a Buddhist attitude to let it flow and let go.

brrr!
Meanwhile, it is very foggy, cloudy, chilly here in San Francisco and I had to wear my friend's fleece jacket when I went to the market. My quilted vest (worn daily) just isn't enough today. Wind is actually howling down this dead end "alley" -- reminds me of home. But my nephew is coming over soon and we're going to walk to a neighborhood restaurant for dinner together. I'll add a wool scarf (also borrowed) to the fleece jacket.
finis
I finished the socks last night while watching Bette Davis in The Letter. See it for the crocheted lace she works on in the movie. I think Davis was already proficient at the craft because it seemed so natural to her, no awkward movements -- but maybe she was just a really great actress and could do anything. I read once that she did needlepoint, and in Now, Voyager we see her knitting a mysterious something quite easily. As for me, I'm working on the cable and lace mitts again. My hands were so cold walking back to the house.

My brain is only a receiver. In the Universe 
there is a core from which we obtain knowledge, 
strength, inspiration. I have not penetrated into 
the secrets of this core, but I know that it exists.
      Nikola Tesla

No comments:

Post a Comment