Monday, May 14, 2012

she's flipped her switch

still trying...
at my desk working, I'm distracted by purple. All sorts of purple: mauves and lavender, grape and wine and violet. Especially by lilacs (S. vulgaris). A small bouquet (who put it there?) blocks the ms. draft I'm supposed to be editing. I'm intoxicated and abstracted by scent. I know the lilacs will be gone soon (they already are in other places). And then the long hopeful wait through seasons; no blossom is safe at 7500 feet, therefore, never guaranteed. Ever. Impermanence. Must get Zen-like attitude re lilacs. Appreciate what exists here now.
The color coincidentally inserting itself into my newest Kool Aid+  dyed yarn; emerging like the flowers outside still blooming due to the lovely rains we've had. In their last brief flowering phase the lilacs fade slightly, develop tiny creamy petals within the purple clusters. Exactly like the yarn that just dried
transformed into two balls destined to become two socks...
not so fast...
as soon as the spring greens are finished...from the pot to the drying rack, to the needles...
I'm loving these vivid and (dare I say?) original results. Love tossing into the crock pot packets of Kool Aid, squeezing tubes of food coloring gels into the mixtures, waiting impatiently for 16 hours (8 cooking, 8 cooling), not knowing what will come out; total disaster or charming Lollipop Guild (Oz and Emerald City) colors. So far I'm charmed and having fun. Planning more for the weeks ahead.

and speaking of...
the name Lollipop Guild Sox popped into my head when I finished this striped pair that made me remember those little people with the high voices, important demeanors, and striped stockings, who greeted Dorothy in the movie.
We represent the Lollipop Guild
the Lollipop Guild, the Lollipop Guild
And in the name of the Lollipop Guild
We wish to welcome you to Munchkin Land

The floors need to be vacuumed, the grass mowed, the bathrooms cleaned, the next load of laundry done. Ron's back is acting up he's no help and I'm bemused by purple. What to do? A cup of coffee comes to mind since it's too early for wine...