Thursday, February 9, 2012

reaching for something

fresh snow, fresh outlook
How beautiful is new snow on a mountaintop against a blue sky. Especially when the snow down below melts away in the warm sun and I don't have to drive through it or shovel it. Several of my friends are skiers and the way they describe the exhilaration of the ride makes me a little envious. They seem so pleasantly tired at the end of a skiing afternoon, cheeks rosy, body taut. Oh well, the world needs couch potatoes too. You won't ever catch me careening down the side of a mountain in the cold. Which means I don't have a taut body, but I do appreciate my surroundings.

to each his own
I finished the modified Ali's (MacGraw) Cap begun ages ago. It's the one she designed with Marion Foale for the benefit of the Wildlife Emergency Response Fund. I've made several in pure wool, but this time I changed the patterns somewhat and made it an inch or so shallower. I used The Fibre Company's Road to China Light "silken jewels" in Citrine. A luxe blend of baby alpaca, cashmere, camel, silk. sigh! The hat came out a tad larger and looser than the ones made with the lighter Foale yarn and it turns out to be much more flattering to me. It's less cloche-like and more outdoorsy. A keeper. There's one skein left and I have to figure out what to do with a mere 159 yards. 

ta da!!
as of today there have been more than 10,000 readers of this blog since it started a little over a year and a half ago! It grows a little bit more each month and I'm grateful. Ten thousand thanks to everyone who has taken the time to check it out and to those who have stuck with it. I truly enjoy posting and hope to continue as long as you're out there reading it.