Sunday, February 12, 2012

one of those Sundays

We awakened to a blizzard. Pretty and cozy-feeling, looking especially magical as wet snow fell on Ron's sculptures out on the land. This sort of blizzarding continued all day, on and off, wet and not much accumulation. Who knows what will greet us in the morning.  The mountains are still hidden so I expect it's not over yet.
I was supposed to see a friend today at her home, but we both declared it a snow day and instead I worked  at the kitchen table in between cooking food for later, starting my book proposal, typing poem drafts into my new mac, and baking amazing Bonnie bread again. By a coincidence (are there such things?) she sent me a message that she had posted a blog today all about the bread and how to make it! (She teaches culinary arts at UNM along with upper and lower division writing classes) and now I'm going to try to embed a link so you can get it for yourself. Try it, you'll like it!  http://www.peacecorpsworldwide.org/cooking-crocodiles
neither snow nor bread
just some lovely Malabrigo Sock (kettle dyed merino) for a Damson small shawl/scarf designed by Ysolda Teague. It's wasn't the sort of design I could see myself wearing, until I saw the one a friend made and loved it. This yarn is in shades of kiwi green, gray, grayish mauve- Turner #851. I discovered the hard way that although the pattern shaping is simple I tend to zone out while working on it. My stitch count was off and the lace columns were wonky. I ripped it out three times. The first time really hurt - several inches and nearly 300 stitches!  I ripped it to the mistake, picked it up from there, and made the same mistake. After two more tries I disappeared it completely and started over. Cast on 3 stitches... and today as I waited for the bread dough to rise I worked on it in the good snow light coming through the windows. The color appeals to me and I didn't make any mistakes this time. So. What is the lesson here? I'd better not try to work on it at night while watching movies.
instant gratification takes too long
       Carrie Fisher