Monday, August 16, 2010

zoned out

The petals are falling from the bouquet of sunflowers on the table. I know I should remove and toss them, but I can't seem to do it yet. Since Saturday I've been removing vestiges of the family's visit. Doing laundry non-stop - sheets, pillowcases, blankets. For a whole year these items each had a storage place in this small house, but I can't seem to find space for these last few. They must have been somewhere. But where? So until I solve the mystery, these pillows and blankets will sit on the table downstairs (the table was somewhere else too).
I found out what a onesie is but didn't find a pattern I liked. Instead I found a "halfsie" - warm baby leggings made with sock yarn. Perfect for a winter baby due in November. What I've done so far seems so small, but I seem to recall that newborn babies tend to be on the small side. I found the free pattern online and if it works out (one never knows until the last stitch is made) I might try one in a thicker yarn and bigger needles for when the baby outgrows this one - I also seem to remember that they grow awfully fast. So far I have only one leg almost finished. I still don't believe it will fit a real baby but I'm willing to go the distance because it's so cute. I'm using Opal sock yarn (I have a stash) in their Masked Ball series.
And today I started The Zone. No more chocolate-covered strawberries (I threw away what was left), too much wine (only 4 ozs of red tonight with dinner), cake (green, ugh!), bread (sigh). I'd really like to trim down again because a slim body makes everything else attractive - including (I hope) my new mint green toenail polish. The perception of an old fat lady with green toenails is quite different from a slim women of a certain age sporting green toenails - don't you agree?

cool rainclouds gather
stacks of blankets and pillows
humming laundry sounds
my house so empty today
        where has everyone gone?

No comments:

Post a Comment