Friday, August 20, 2010

basic magic

Finished the KnitPicks Felici rainbow socks late last night while trying to block out of my hearing the D'backs baseball game Ron watched even though the team's at the bottom of the league and they generally lose.

I'd planned to include a photo of a recent real sky rainbow but that cliche is so prevalent that I thought I'd spare you - even though they are slightly magical and I take useless photographs time after time. When we first moved to these mountains, close friends moved here too. We called each other that whole first summer filled with almost daily double Disney rainbows whose entire arch we could see. This was new to lifelong New Englanders and Manhattanites. There was a lot of talk about the pot of gold and how lucky we were to have found this place. My friend said, "we bought the rainbow package!" She is gone now but (and here comes the inevitable cliche) I think of her every time I see a rainbow in the summer sky.

So. Back to basics. It was easy to match the yarn's stripes exactly. Usually I prefer unmatched pairs but somehow these called for symmetry. I used the plain and simple 60 stitch pattern I wrote up in my 2003 chapbook Mastering the Art of Sock Knitting (still available in an updated version) and 2.5mm dpns. Nothing else was necessary - the colorful soft yarn made the statement. Now into the soxbox they will go until some future chilly autumn day (it's coming - nights are cooler) when I'll decide to keep, sell, or give them away.

Twilight rain high up
crosses paths with setting sun
and new handmade socks

No comments:

Post a Comment