Saturday, August 14, 2010

in a world of color

The family has gone home to the east and west. It's quiet here now and all the evidence that's left of their visit are the sheets and pillowcases that are being laundered. And the leftover tiramisu I just ate. And the six chocolate covered strawberries that was breakfast. What's left of the alligator cake will have to be sacrificed to the garbage gods or else it's death by green sugar. Starting on Monday I'm going fat flush! But today's only Saturday. We drove yesterday to Albuquerque via Santa Fe. Arriving at 4:45 I just had time to walk to Tutto before they closed, while they headed for ice cream cones at the Plaza Bakery. It didn't take long to find "Road to China silken jewels" dk yarn. It's made up of baby alpaca, cashmere, camel, silk and is the softest. The color is citrine and I bought two skeins for now until I can figure out what I want to make with it.
At the Pueblo the other day we visited a shop that sells dyed corn necklaces. They were lovely and colorful.
When I finished a sock at Loka Cafe this morning I was reminded of the necklaces. The sock is made with KnitPicks Felici sock yarn and although I planned it for a baby hat it somehow became something else. That's the mystery of yarn. It has a mind of its own and if you force your will upon it and don't listen, it may not satisfy - and after all those stitches and time, who wants that? I can't wait to start the second one. After a week of not knitting I'm sort of feeling deprived.
As I anticipated, the females in the family (ages 15-42) plotted to go home with hand knitted items. The night before they left, they rummaged through my storage boxes, oohed and aahhed, grabbed and made deals and negotiations with each other (largely ignoring me as I finished the last of the champagne). The kitchen table was six inches deep with a shocking number of finished items. Even I was a bit surprised. They finally chose three pairs of socks each, two market bags and one purple cardi (that my daughter says she will wear every day all during nasty New England winter). I tried to take pictures but the energy was so high that no one stood still long enough. There was so much enthusiasm and encouragement that I'll probably continue this knitting obsession until I keel over. I will give consideration to the specific requests each of them had but I'm not fond of knitting on demand. If the project appeals to me I'll know it will get finished and they will get lucky (color-striped market bag, infant "onesie with ears" (what's a onesie?), men's socks/shoe size 13 (don't think so), legwarmers to drape over boot tops).
hot August night
on the kitchen table
my birthday flowers wilt

No comments:

Post a Comment