Friday, January 17, 2014

howling at the moon

Well, it's 4:30 am and I've been awake for two hours. Not surprising since I fell asleep at 9:15. And then there's the Wolf Moon's light shining on the snow and into every one of the 51 windows of this tall house. That's a lot of windows and a lot of light. Sorting through photos on my computer (what else can I do at this hour?) I find one that I'd forgotten: the last roses of autumn. Somehow this picture makes me feel nostalgic and sad and happy.
sock it to 'em
Finishing up two pairs of socks that were requested by a writing friend I met at the retreat in December and who lives in the northeast where it's been super-cold, then 60 degrees, then cold again. I know she will love the softness of the aloe vera/jojoba that's infused in the wool. I've loved working with it. And the colors remind me of spring and flowers and maybe that's why I feel nostalgic about the faded roses.
No matter how much wishing we do, spring is a long way off and this is my least favorite month, even though several people I love celebrate their birthdays in January. So here's to you Phyllis, Nat, Kira, James, Frank. Happy Birthdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment