Monday, April 15, 2013

of labyrinths & manias

all about labyrinths
I've been away from this blog longer than I realized. This is a super busy month when I'm either out at events and meetings or glued to my desk. Today will incorporate both even though my energy is low, having just finished a three-day meditation/writing session. Slightly enervated this morning, I just want to fill the car's tank with fuel and drive alone to a beach house or cabin in the woods. No people, cellphone, internet ~ just notebooks, camera and yarn, pens, books to read but, alas, it's not to be, reality beckons. Well, maybe not complete reality....
This labyrinth that was under construction in December at the UNM-Taos campus and for which I helped gather rocks, has been completed. It was walked several times as we enjoyed the feeling of a weekend-empty university building.
Cold spring winds were out in full force causing lots of cloud drama and fewer outdoor writing assignments. Wind did make its way into the writings of many of the students. Also into the labyrinth of my ears, causing slight dizziness. I am susceptible to labyrinthitis. Fortunately I had one prescription Meclizine pill with me and took it. It helped to stave off the dizziness but it's why I feel the way I do today, drowsy and hungover. Worth it versus being dizzy for three days. 
Late in the afternoon it seemed a storm was coming, but this morning its all sun, wind, fast-moving clouds in blue sky again. Driving, I saw charred remains of a field where some guys were burning out the acequia (irrigation ditch) and due to the wind, lost control of the fire. It was quickly contained by the Taos fire department (four trucks were needed!). It's an alert to what may (inevitably?) come soon. Every spring fires rage in the southwest destroying homes and thousands of acres of forest land. This year we are experiencing a particularly dry winter/spring. Water levels are at 14% of what they should be. We're all experiencing stress over what might happen: drought, fire. Meditation and being in the moment is the best way to deal with anxiety and worry about the past or future but most of us still cling to the drama of anxiety.

Hopper
On Friday night we had the pleasure of meeting and talking with Tom Folsom, author of the new book, Hopper (Dennis Hopper).
The event was held at Mabel Dodge Luhan House which Hopper owned when he lived in Taos "where he spent much of his manic time". Folsom is a young and engaging speaker and a compelling writer. The book has been described as a "wild ride through Dennis's many lives." Folsom (who lives in New York) casually sat on a step in the dining room at Mabel's, told stories and read some pages from the book.
I'm looking forward to reading it and I'd take it to that mythical cabin. Here is the first line of part one: Dennis Hopper lit up a cigarette in the rich Peruvian night....I'm already drawn in.  I love what Folsom wrote in my copy of the book:

see a movie
be a movie!






No comments:

Post a Comment