Sunday, March 24, 2013

pondering

Since the last post I've received my new Kindle Fire tablet. It immediately swept me into that learning curve thing and I've spent far too much time playing with it.
It's different, of course, from the Kindle readers I've had in the past which were mostly no-brainers but served well. I'm really not sure if I like this new Kindle Fire. I think I may have ordered the wrong one - should have ordered the HD model - maybe - or held out for the expensive mini-iPad. The screen is mirror-like and definitely needs a no-glare screen protector (which I didn't buy) - it's kind of heavy and bulky. But I'm going to give it a good tryout for another week before I decide to return or keep it.

Sunday drivers
We decide this afternoon to take a drive. I've been obsessed with the Kindle and not working on what I should be working on and Ron is bored, so we take off in the car and head north. Pass over the Rio Grande Gorge bridge and notice new earthship designs under construction. They are a different, sort of tall fairytale houses...
We've often contemplated building an earthship but always somehow backed off before taking the fateful step. Are old tires and aluminum cans really safe to live within? We once asked the architect about that and he said they were studying it. That was decades ago and we haven't heard anything more - and we haven't heard of anyone dying of aluminum can poisoning. We didn't look into it this time either. Just kept on driving and marveled over how our Taos Mountains often resemble photos we've seen of the Himalayas. It's pretty amazing. And while we were marveling over the beauty of these foothills of the Rockies, we were also discussing whether we want to move away from here someday. Where to is always the big question.
Back home after an early dinner, I finish up the toe section on the first new sock using yarn I've had for years in my stash. All the while thinking about my good friend who landed in Vietnam or Cambodia today (I forgot to ask which country she was visiting first). She promises to send me field notes. I love getting bulletins from afar.

No comments:

Post a Comment