Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Il Irrigador & more

Working like mad today so that I'm free to do an interview and conversation with Manuel Archuleta who will turn 98 years old on March 22. 
Manuel in Des Montes, 2011 "Il Irrigador"

He has been a rancher, farmer, and keeper of the acequia (water/ditch) system in Taos for most of his life. I've been editing the oral history he dictated to his son a couple of years ago for a book. Manuel's mind is clear and there are many memories and facts in his words that I've been sorting through and organizing. His son and I plan to meet with him in the early morning to talk about family tragedies and triumphs that have occurred in the last two years, during which his beloved wife died and his ability to walk the fields and work the ditches has declined. I'm looking forward to it. To simply be in this man's presence is a gift and I'm privileged to have been invited to this project.

the more...
For now, knitting is not on my list of things to do. It's all about pens, cameras, keyboards, words. But I did finish the merino/cashmere socks last night watching a movie I hadn't seen in about 10 years, Desire Me with Greer Garson. Black and white, foggy and moody, the location is Brittany. The last time I watched it I was recovering from surgery (a long ago March) and happily ensconced in my bed with new red yarn and needles that I'd sent Ron to the Yarn Shop in town to pick up for me. I'll wear the new soft blue socks to keep my feet warm in my chilly workroom ~ the weather has turned cold again and I turned down the heat last week.




No comments:

Post a Comment