Thursday, January 24, 2013

the teaching?

If I don't have anything to say I try to stay away from this blog so that we don't all die from boredom. And actually I don't have much to say today, but the spectacular sunrise this morning sort of prodded me to take action. It was, by itself, a spectacular poem or story or cataclysm - I could never match it in words. Colors changed so rapidly that I was out on the deck in PJs in the freezing morning, barefoot, taking pictures as fast as I could.
Then turned toward the west where a delicate poem was being written at the same time that the eastern sky was on fire.
Cast away all speech.
Our words may express it,
but cannot hold it.
The way of letters leaves no trace,
yet the teaching is revealed.
          Dogen Kigen (1200-1253)

Now, a few hours later, the sun is shining fully, the house is getting too warm. It's sunglasses-in-the-kitchen-bright and silver clouds are strewn across the blue sky in swirling and dagger-like shapes. All that's left of the spectacular start to the day is contained in my cameras. Snow is expected tomorrow. And so it goes.

from the bag of bamboos
Color is the operative word here in my world of landscape and yarn. I'm working on the second pair of bamboo socks and chose the brightest color in the bag. I wanted to "get it out of the way" due to my fear-of-pink, figuring that I'd avoid it and it would never be more than a vivid skein of yarn. Surprise! It turns out to be lovely to work with. It's called "hibiscus" but it's sort of watermelon-y, or sweetheart roses, a tropical song, beach roses, salt water taffy, a sweet sixteen corsage (does anyone wear corsages anymore?).
I finally got the hang of working with bamboo which can be tricky due to its silky slippery fiber and its many loose plies. Tip #1: use wooden needles  Tip #2: choose one half to one size smaller than usual for sock yarn. Tip #3: start with longer needles (7-8") and once past the heel, switch to shorter wood (6"). This is what works for me but knitting is so personal and subjective (and inventive)  that it may not work for you and you'll have a totally different approach with good results.  And so it goes.

as color drips
from the yarn
I ache with rose




No comments:

Post a Comment