Monday, January 14, 2013

the nobler arts

Wool socks. Modest miracles for lingering cold. This array of wet ones, carelessly thrown on the towel rack, stopped me in my tracks as I walked back into the room.
I should be working, finishing my research, expanding what I've written...but after answering a long email letter with a longer one, hitting send and having it disappear into cyberspace, I decided instead to go to the post office for the package I knew was solidly there...
Two skeins of Lorna's Laces Limited Edition yarns: "Christmas at Downton" & "50 Skeins of Grey" and a set of six Denise 2Go needles in new multi colors packaged in a sweet flowery (spring-like) fabric case. I've owned full sets of these interchangeable needles (sold one, kept the other) but this latest is compact and pretty and I had to have it. It made me so happy that I baked two apple pies! (don't ask what the connection is, it just is). The crusts came out a little messy, but who cares.
I'll try a piece with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt on top. I put the kettle on, reach for the empty teacup that's been on the table since morning. Tea and pie. I expect it to feel cold to the touch but the mug's been sitting in a patch of sun and feels warm. A mugful of sun - to go with the tea.

Everything should be as simple as it is,
but not simpler.
     Albert Einstein


No comments:

Post a Comment