Sunday, January 13, 2013

both sides now

the harshness of winter and the soft
This sight greeted us this morning. From four or so acres away we can't see who the victim is.  It sort of looks like another coyote. It was not dragged away to be eaten but seemed more an object of interest. The magpies and ravens pecked at it for awhile and then flew away. Wildlife viewed from our kitchen windows! I could trudge through the snowy field and check it out but I don't want to. I'd rather leave nature to do its thing while I observe from my warm house. Surprisingly warm considering the temp this morning was -9 degrees! I am wearing a soft mohair/silk sweater over a cotton shirt. It's one I knitted a long time ago with yarn from Fiber Arts in San Francisco. No itch and lovely lightweight orange-y milk chocolate-y brown.
I had the opportunity to sell it many times as the years went by and although I didn't wear it something stopped me from letting it go (maybe the San Francisco connection). Then I rediscovered it, cut out the sparkly gold trim I'd put on the neckline and cuffs (I was a victim of the novelty yarn craze too) and lo it fit, looked good and is perfect for cold fall and winter days.
So is the latest pair of crackpot crockpot-dyed socks to come off the needles. This recipe used Betty Crocker Neon gel food coloring in purple with a few drops of pink. I wasn't thrilled about the color when I took the yarn out of the pot - it couldn't hold its own near the vivid lime and orange drying on the rack beside it - so when it was dry I put it aside. Found it again recently with needles and the beginnings of a sock; decided to motor on with it (mainly out of guilt because the stash is growing again and more is expected at the PO tomorrow). Change of heart: I loved it! Muted and soft, perfect for winter (KnitPicks Bare) which reinforces my unoriginal theory that yarn choice is a mood thing. If it doesn't feel right, a ball of string stays a ball of string.
But a tree stump can be a thing of beauty
bowl of snow cupped in arms raised to cobalt sky
will it sprout in spring? (stay tuned)

No comments:

Post a Comment