Sunday, January 20, 2013

oh how we danced

It's still awfully snowy around here, but I went out to run errands in town and was able to wear my fleece vest! Some people were walking around in shirtsleeves, others in ski jackets -- moods change when extreme cold breaks and hot sun warms us up into the high 30's! It can get confusing.
Heaven knows what these ravens were devouring. I couldn't get close enough with my zoom or binoculars to see.  Life and death go on all around us as I work on my simultaneous projects, feeling clearer and more energetic. A bird that sounded suspiciously like a robin was heard this morning, but all I saw were ravens. For the moment I've put aside wool projects and am working on bamboo socks. My plan is to have several pairs available by the time spring actually arrives -- many people have asked for non-wool socks and I wouldn't mind a pair myself. I have a colorful stash of bamboo yarn and starting a new color will be the thing that keeps me moodily working on them. This one was rather sea-specific as I've been dreaming about that cottage on a beach somewhere -- the big hat? the bare feet?
here's to you, here's to me
We celebrated our 33rd wedding anniversary yesterday! We'd forgotten until one of us asked what day it was. the 19th! oh yeah, I remember now...something.... In honor of that date, we went out to an Asian restaurant for an early dinner. It wasn't exactly celebratory in the sense of music and wine and friends,  but the food was delicious and it was nice to be out after dark! Tomorrow we will be in Santa Fe and are planning lunch down there. It's hard to believe how much time has gone by since that winter night in Connecticut when we were wed in front of the stone fireplace in the living room. Only a handful of our closest friends and family were there and my kids were teens. They participated in the festivities: sons were best men and daughter maid of honor. We were married by a Justice of the Peace who was also a florist and made house calls. Yellow and white chrysanthemums and lilies were arrayed all over the room and Dawn (the Justice) stayed around for a glass of wine before venturing back out into the winter night. The topper on the wedding cake was a Teddy Bear and Woodstock. I can't quite remember why but it worked. We were already talking about changing our lives back then but who would have thought we'd be in New Mexico 30+ years later talking about changing our lives once more before it's too late. We just don't know where to go yet.

Those tender words we said to one another
Are stored in the secret heart of heaven.
One day, like the rain, they will fall and spread
And their mystery will grow green over the world.
               Rumi


No comments:

Post a Comment