Thursday, August 30, 2012

mooning around

so much color everywhere
It's evening, the sun shining low in the west turns the light buttery yellow, daytime harshness softens. I'm drinking Lung Ching Dragon Well green tea and it will probably keep me awake half the night, but who cares? It's the start of a Blue Moon night and there's a definite end-of-summer feel in the air. A different kind of quiet surrounds us. Still hot during the day, much cooler at night. Birds are already flocking together, gorging themselves on sunflower seeds and whatever else is in the fields and trees...chokecherries...
The birds make me think of a favorite chapter in The Wind in the Willows -- when they gather on a wire and discuss where to go and when to leave. Unlike them, we plan to stay. But we still gather (at a bistro table) -- my knitting friend Joan and me, discussing yarn and new projects -- the lure of cooler nights seeping into us much as the changing quality of light seeps into the psyche of the wild birds.

do not try this in the woods
Meanwhile I finished the socks I've been working on. They resemble rugged hiking socks, but hand knit socks aren't the best things to hike in. I learned that a long time ago, the hard way.
The mountains are turning pink now and I'm tired from a long full day -- friends, summer heat, good food, yarn. Resting up for a drop-dead-deadline weekend and a blue moon.
follow your Inner Moonlight
don't hide the Madness
                   Allen Ginsberg

No comments:

Post a Comment