Monday, August 20, 2012

tipsy & full

oh no, we hardly knew ye...
It certainly doesn't feel like the end of summer, but there are signs...windfall apples and cool nights that require a light extra blanket.  Fresh veggies pulled from the earth of our neighbors' garden...
washed and ready to be cooked (if I can figure out how to cook beets)...
you've got a friend...
Mag left this morning after more than a week together. We entertained Maria and her husband (who took the photo), feasted, laughed loud and long, exchanged gifts and ice cream and flowers. An unforgettable day that started at noon and ended at 9:30 p.m.
After a long editing meeting this afternoon I return home, eat too much, try to find a still point, illustrate a journal page (what I do when rest is needed - the editing session was long). Drawing for me is a right- brained effort that requires stillness without expectation of mastery -- I am not an artist or illustrator, but who cares. This effort is not necessarily dependent upon wine or chocolate and therefore more of a meditation. (Well, maybe chocolate).
The bouquet of daisies is still perky, I'm not. But it's raining! Blessed, wet, cool, rain. Heavenly. Remembering last night's sumptuous dinner at Lambert's, Ron back from long drive home from Las Vegas, tired but in rare form, like last hurrahs before death (he's already asleep at 7 pm), Mag and I getting in last words and ideas and plans until next time together. (December?  March? here? there?). Duck, steak, porcini mushrooms, Grappa (which nearly killed me). I write words in my notebook, sip the chilled leftover Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand and think about an early bedtime.
thanks for he dance
I'm sorry you're tired
the evening has hardly begun
thanks for the dance
try to look inspired
one two three, one two three one
                  Leonard Cohen




No comments:

Post a Comment