Wednesday, August 22, 2012

and it feels like rain

coffee in the sky
A favorite coffee shop, Elevation, has replaced their nondescript sign with this giant cup perched above a sculptural monolith. I stopped to pick up a latte with a splash of vanilla syrup in it and was surprised to be greeted on high by the largest red cup I've ever seen. Especially since I'm suffering one of those gray-sky-gray-mind days. Explained, perhaps, by my trying to readjust to my quotidian life with the result that all I'm experiencing is restlessness and lack of imagination and wondering why I'm embroiled in yet another editing project. The sky matches my mood, even though I can appreciate cooler temperatures and relief from unrelenting sun. If only it would rain. Storm threats abound in the north. A few sprinkles fall, stop. No stars visible tonight.
Heard about and visited a new store in town called Tuesday Morning -- an offshoot, I learned, of Marshall's and Target. A fun store to browse in with a hodgepodge of unrelated items. Tucked away on a bottom shelf I found boxes of yarn! Nice yarns, but not much of it. Still I managed to find a ball of sock yarn in exactly the black, white and gray of my mood at a shockingly inexpensive price. But, alas, even starting a new sock didn't move me off center. I admit it: I was bored.
So now I've escaped into Pride and Prejudice -- which I've read so many times I could probably be one of those wandering people in Fahrenheit 451 who memorized books in a world that burned them. P&P surprisingly fits my escapist mood with its pleasant unreality and romantic denouement. Especially after reading The Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka -- an award winning novel about Japanese women (and their men) who made lives in California and ended up being forgotten in internment camps during WWII. An excellent book, sad and poignant. Builds up so compellingly that I couldn't put it down until the very last page.

"It's true that I sometimes can't separate what I actually feel from what I know I'm supposed to feel"
             Danny Gregory


No comments:

Post a Comment