Wednesday, April 11, 2012

sickly & nifty

I'm in recovery. Struck by a bout of vertigo on Monday night, I spent all of yesterday sitting and not moving in any direction lest the room start spinning. After taking the pills the doctor prescribed I felt a slight improvement (as well as groggy and stupid) and knitted on some new projects. They kept me calm and I didn't feel like I was wasting a precious day of my life (okay, so I'm obsessed). For those of you who have commented that reading about knitting on this blog called The Knitorialist is a turn-off, you may want to leave now and return in a couple of days. Nothing personal, just fair warning.

I downloaded the new Anne Hanson pattern Plain Jaynes mitts and couldn't wait to try it.
The first mitt (left) was made in Casbah's gorgeous color "beach house" and is a bit thicker than what's called for in the pattern. Not surprisingly it is a little large for my hand. So I started another in Shaefer's "anne", a light fingering weight (almost laceweight) that I've had around for awhile, have tried in numerous patterns and ripped out more times than I care to count. It works for the mitts. However the skein is around 600 yards and the mitts require 200! Guess I'll be making multiple versions, and thank the knitting gods that there are women in my family who crave handmade socks and mitts and wish for situations like this.

I almost finished the first Alpaca Sox "lipstick" sock. Great color, great yarn.
I put aside the Knitpicks Felici "minty" because, although it's a nice stripey combo, the dark colored dye was coming off on my hands.
I'll finish the pair at some point and then wash them until the dye is gone. I've used this yarn before (in other color combos) and haven't had the problem, so maybe this is an unusual occurrence.

For now, I'll sign off, as there is a lovely sound of thunder in the distance and the air actually feels like rain is coming! A good day to knit? I'm not fully recovered yet.