Monday, September 20, 2010

with a little help from my friends

pre-Columbian figure nestled in a courtyard nicho

The last five days are a blur. I'm not sure how or why I got so over-committed. Well, I know why. I thought I had more time. Jack Kornfield said, the problem is, we think we have time. His quote relates to myriad subjects and themes, but in my case it's less Buddhist and more superficial. The weekend was jam-packed (unusual). Two full days spent at an invitational artisans exhibit and sale at the Rane Gallery on Ledoux Street in Taos and a private SOMOS event on Sunday night where I took photographs, hobnobbed, and had a great time.
Whenever I participate in or attend arts and crafts shows I look around and realize that these overstuffed events are the result of creative passions run amuck! Mine no less than others. We can't make one or two pottery mugs, we make 100. And socks? How about two dozen. Fleecy scarves with pockets? 300! Beaded necklaces? Can't even count 'em. Silver earrings? oh my. It was a relatively slow weekend for visitors so we weren't exactly inundated with buyers. I spent time with a group of women ranging in age from 30s to 70s. They are each, amazing, beautiful, multi-talented, interesting. By the end of the day we agreed that it felt like we'd known each other forever and had carelessly lost touch. How cool is that?
Last night I visited a deluxe tree house! It is located on a property with several other remodeled rustic-style buildings set under large old trees festooned with strings of white lights. For each of us who climbed the stairs into the tree house to look around, it was deemed the perfect studio. Many sighs of longing were heard as we trooped back down to the small crowd of people who had arrived. Writers, musicians, photographers, artists, had gathered to honor an author we have all known and respected for decades. Improvised music prompted some of us to sing 60s songs mostly out of key and with occasional lyric memory lapses, wine flowed, and we reconnected with friends we'd somehow gotten too busy to keep up with regularly. I must say that I had the best time I've had in many moons. The late September night was warm, windless and completely perfect for the guests who gathered beneath the trees around candlelit tables and an outdoor kiva fireplace. The night stayed warm until around 10 when I wrapped myself in my cashmere lace shawl and the less hardy drifted home. The singing continued. Today is cool and cloudy and I think of one of the early book titles of the guest of honor - was yesterday one of the Last Beautiful Days of Autumn?
Early dinner is light and frivolous as I anticipate another intense week. This day, though, I have lovely memories and new friendships to ponder.

I open the back door
startling a dozen blackbirds
small wings beating
getting ready to leave again

No comments:

Post a Comment