Wednesday, September 15, 2010

sona si Latine loqueris

Honk if you speak Latin

Yeah, I know. it's stupid. But one of the reasons I've been away from this blog for a few days is because I'm trying to learn Latin. In all my years of education I managed to avoid it. And now, as a woman past a certain age I've enrolled in a class at UNM. Just attended third session and it seems I'm going to have to study. At the end of class yesterday, a chorus of 30 people read aloud. At the end the professor said, think of it, we are in a small town in New Mexico and people are speaking Latin - not a dead language anymore! it makes me very happy!  Included in this course is lots of mythology - oh my god all those gods and goddesses yee gods! Years ago I often read Edith Hamilton's Greek Mythology. It was most entertaining. I kept a paperback copy of it until recently when it fell apart. Pages drifted around the room like autumn leaves and I tossed it. Now I have to transpose (in my mind) those Greek myths into Roman myths. All those names (Zeus becomes Jupiter - like that) and gods swallowing their children and having their livers eaten over and over, eyes gouged out, and stealing fire and stuff...

On a friendlier note I am preparing for an Invitational Artisan Fair this weekend at the Rane Art Gallery in Taos. At the suggestion of a poet acquaintance who is helping to launch this event, I have knitted a pair of baby socks. She hinted that her 5 month old grandson needed some fun socks and I started thinking about my own great grandson who will be coming along in couple of months and lo, teensy-weensy socks manifested! I'm working on a second pair. Love 'em!
And last, but not least, we drank a Prosecco toast (well, more than one) to our lost friend whose birthday was on Monday. She fully expected to celebrate it but the gods had other plans for her. Here's to you Gayle!

No comments:

Post a Comment