Friday, September 24, 2010

out and about

How wintery is this? Another chilly torrential downpour hit us a couple of days ago and once again I was driving through the canyon on the way home from Santa Fe. I snapped this picture through the car window when traffic was stopped while a crew cleared rocks that had slid onto the road. I can't help but think that when the temperature seriously drops in another month or so, that much moisture would probably equal a foot of snow. Makes me shiver inwardly and outwardly just thinking about the dreaded winter. So I will stop thinking about it and enjoy this perfect September day filled with sunshine, lots of green (thanks to the rain) and swaths of yellow aspens on the mountaintops.
     Unfortunately this is also the last day that our favorite coffee shop/cafe will be open. Goodbye to the sweet courtyard, with its tables and umbrellas under the trees, the delicious quiches, lemon cookies, croissants, nice people...you catch the drift. Here in Taos we are always saying hello and goodbye to favorite places. It's a lesson in impermanence. Again. I'm still mourning a cafe called Casa Fresen that closed ten years ago!
So now, after a busy blurry week of successes, conflicts, weird dreams, overcommitment, I look forward to this weekend to maybe reconnect with myself - if any of the loose wires can be located.  I'll read,  take up the Jade Sapphire silk/cashmere clapotis I started in a brief lull yesterday, make a nice light dinner and rent a movie for tonight. If the weather holds we'll take a drive somewhere and revel in the autumn colors.

incense smoke rises
in double erratic spirals
     martyr to air currents

No comments:

Post a Comment